Virginia Bruce Braithwaite Haughwout

1876-1956

 
 


    Virginia Bruce married Lefferd Haughwout, an Episcopal Minister in 1908.  He was a missionary and they lived in Puerto Rico and Mexico for a time and then New York.  She returned to Williamsburg after the death of her mother Delia and bought the Homplace, the Bland-Wetherburn House and in time more properties such as Providence Hall.

    She began her own restoration of Williamsburg in 1918, long before Rockefeller moved in in 1926.  She welcomed the restoration and enjoyed increased notoriety as Queen of the City, entertaining prominent people at her “Bull’s Head” tavern (now Wetherburn’s Tavern), Providence Hall, and Homeplace.  As the town grew and more tourists came, she reveled more and more in the colorful excitement, and Rockefellers publicity kept her taverns filled to Capacity.

    She opened three antique and souvenir shops and later operated a garden and sidewalk cafe “At the Sign of Ye Bull’s Head” to augment the large overflowing dining room.  She built new rentals and furnished outdoor kitchens and barns to rent.

    Virginia established the Bucktrout-Braithwaite Memorial Foundation so that her children and grandchildren would receive ownership of family properties throughout their lifetime and to support scholarships for descendants of the B-B to The College of Williams and Mary.

    Virginia and Lefferd had four children: Lefferd Braithwaite, Virginia Bruce, James Alexander, and Anne Ballard

BackBios.html
 HomeHome.html