Walking up Duke of Gloucester St. (named for the Royal heir) one can see the reconstructed colonial Capitol building at the end of the wide street.  After Jamestown burned for the fourth time the government moved here in 1698, and Williamsburg was laid out as we see it.  Thomas Ballard II was appointed one of the directors to lay out the town.  Francis Nicholson was the Royal Governor and the two streets that parallel this main street are named for him, - Francis and Nicholson.

Duke of Gloucester St.
Next3.html
Backpage_1.html